Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Blog assignment #5

Don't teach your kids this stuff, Please

My take on this poem was very uneasy. I read this poem against the grain. I tried to accept the fact that it was sarcasm, but it was truly hard. After reading I could see exactly what he was saying as far as how negative the Internet and cell phones can be, yet they can also be positive. Take C4K's for example. I not only read the ones that I am assigned to I also read others and have noticed that there are some very smart and creative souls in the world. Not teaching with multi-media tools will only hinder our children's education instead of boosting it.

Who id Scott McLeod? 
Scott McLeod, J.D., Ph.D., is widely recognized as one of the nation’s leading academic experts on K-12 school technology leadership issues. Dr. McLeod is an Associate Professor of Educational Leadership at the University of Kentucky. He also is the Founding Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE), the nation’s only academic center dedicated to the technology needs of school administrators, and was a co-creator of the wildly popular video series, Did You Know? (Shift Happens).

Travis Allen 

In one word. Brilliant! This could change education as we know it. New things are constantly being brought to the table about education.For example, The Smart Board. I love this and it should be in every classroom. If we had access to the iSchool things would and could be so much better.
 Imagine being able to AFFORD$$$ College. Having the iSchool would absolutely cut the cost  because there would be no need to spend $200-#300 on books. They would be in the palms of our hands. I like this idea alot. That IPhone is something serious. I must buy one now, I do not want to be left in the dark.

Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir

 The entire 185 people in this video have never met, yet they are in a choir. This was the most creative thing I have seen with a choir. I honestly had a tear in my eye. I knew I had to watch a virtual choir but was not expecting this. Great Choir Eric, and very well done!

Teaching in the 21st Century
 Kevin Roberts basically makes you think about all the ways that influence children in the classroom. Yes, there are pens, pencils, and paper, but that should not be all. He states that there will be temptations with using multi-media tools, but if the information is engaging you can for the most part capture the many abilities that are stored in children's heads.They need to focused on the subject at hand therefore the subject needs to be challenging and stimulating. Some will argue that multi-media technology should not be used in the classroom, but with technology changing as we speak there won't be " No child left behind" it will be THIS WORLD LEFT BEHIND!




6 comments:

  1. I agree with you your comment on the C4K's! The children are amazing, sweet, and wonderful! The are extremely smart and creative. I think it is wonderful how they are learning to blog at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roshawndra,
    I totally agree with you with the C4K as well. I feel like students opportunities only could get better if we continue to introduce them to technological side of learning. I agree with you also with those students being very smart as well. One of the kids that I was assigned to for my C4K was extremely intelligent. From his blog, I have learned a lot of things that I didn't know about a particular country. However, in your future classroom how would you use technology to benefit your students?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with you wholeheartedly on the C4Ks! The students are very intellegent, creative, and incredible. I'm amazed how technological advanced they are at such a young age. When I was younger I wasnt technological savy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My take on this poem was very uneasy. I read this poem against the grain. I tried to accept the fact that it was sarcasm, but it was truly hard. " Why "uneasy"? I don't think you really understood the sarcasm.

    In your response to the question Who is Dr. McLeod? you come dangerously close to plagiarizing. You may even have technically committed it. If you copy and paste more than 5 words without acknowledgement and without putting the copied words in quotation marks, you have technically committed plagiarism. Plagiarism is a very serious offense. You are not the only person who has done this for this assignment. I will attribute it this time to a lack of understanding about how to avoid plagiarism. It is especially important that anyone entering the teaching profession understands what plagiarism is, avoids it in their personal work, and can teach others about it. The copy and paste world in which we now live makes it very easy to do. Careers can easily be ruined through plagiarism. Watch the Class Blog for additional information and assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you seem to be really inspired by Travis Allen's iSchool and Eric Whitacre's choir! That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, you did not summarize the assignments or include links. Don't forget!

    ReplyDelete